Sunday, December 27, 2009
Wat Doi Suthep above Chiang Mai
Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep Rajvoravihara, according to legend, was founded when King Kuena (1355-1385) placed holy relics in a howdah on the back of a white elephant. The elephant carried the treasure up the high mountain to the west of Chiang Mai. Some say he turned around three times to indicate that this was the spot for the temple. Then, the elephant dropped dead from fatigue
The temple is famous for 306 steps bordered by a NAGA (dragon) balustrade. Fortunately, there's now a funicular to haul some of us up the steep mountain and back down again!