Sunday, December 27, 2009
Bhubing Palace is the royal winter residence on the mountainside to the west of Chiang Mai built in 1961. The residences for the royal family and for visitors are relatively modest, but refreshingly comfortable looking and the gardens are stupendous.
Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep Rajvoravihara, according to legend, was founded when King Kuena (1355-1385) placed holy relics in a howdah on the back of a white elephant. The elephant carried the treasure up the high mountain to the west of Chiang Mai. Some say he turned around three times to indicate that this was the spot for the temple. Then, the elephant dropped dead from fatigue
The temple is famous for 306 steps bordered by a NAGA (dragon) balustrade. Fortunately, there's now a funicular to haul some of us up the steep mountain and back down again!